The Rope and Anchor was situated at 198-200 Kay Street, at the junction with Higher Bridge Street. The pub dates back to the 1860s when George Warburton bought a beerhouse licence and opened up his house at 200 Kay Street to sell beer. In 1851, Warburton – not directly related to the baking dynasty - was living in Back Lever Street. By 1861 he was at 200 Kay Street but was employed as a factory operative. By the time of the 1869 Bolton directory he was a beerhouse operator. He died in 1876 aged 53. His wife Ann took over until she died in 1879.
In the early part of the 20th century the pub was bought by Booth’s brewery who operated from the Rose and Crown on nearby Dean Street. By 1924 the pub was being run by Daniel Booth. He was the brother of William Settle who ran the brewery. An argument with another brother, Albert, who ran the Red Lion on Crook Street over the company’s name resulted in it being changed to WT Settle.
On William T Settle’s death in 1951 the brewery and its pubs were sold to Duttons of Blackburn. The Rope and Anchor became a fully-licensed public house in 1962. Duttons sold out to Whitbread in 1964.
The Rope and Anchor closed down in 1971. The pub and surrounding properties were subsequently demolished.
The top end of Kay Street near the junction of Higher Bridge Street. The Rope and Anchor stood on the right-hand side of the street as we look on the site of the car park. The Smart car dealership is in the distance. When the area was redeveloped in the early seventies the Trutex factory was built on the site.