The Jolly Sportsman was situated on the corner of Gas Street and Cromwell Street, off Moor Lane. The pub was run founded by and run by Richard Rothwell and his family. Richard was a gas maker in 1841, but he had previously been living in Great Moor Street and the 1836 Bolton Directory tells us he had run a beerhouse there. He bought a beerhouse licence and opened the Jolly Sportsman at his home around 1842.
The pub was later known as the Sportsman’s Arms and then the Museum.
Richard Rothwell died in 1866 and the pub was taken over by his grandson, James Entwistle. James was working as a warehouseman but was already living at the pub which was probably run by his wife Hannah. James died in January 1878 leaving Hannah and four children aged between 7 and 20 years of age. Hannah continued to run the pub, but it closed down and was demolished in 1883 as part of the construction project for the nearby Spa Fields gas station.
Hannah Entwistle was living at Hill Mill Cottages, West Street, Sharples by 1891. She died in 1897.
Cromwell Street still exists and can be seen below. The pub was situated on the near corner as we look, The Spa Fields gas station also exists though with one fewer gas holder than when it was completed in the 1880s.