Monday, 23 February 2015

Prince Of Wales, 102 Mount Street

Prince Of Wales Mount Street Bolton

The Prince Of Wales pictured in 1961. Belgravia Street runs by the side of the pub. St Matthew’s school was a little further down with St Matthews church behind the photographer.

The Prince Of Wales, situated at 102 Mount Street, on the corner of Belgrave Street, was a few years behind the slightly longer established Mount Street Inn. But it did have one advantage over its neighbour in that whereas the Mount Street Inn was only licensed to sell beer – at least until 1961 – the Prince Of Wales was fully licensed and as such could also sell wines and spirits, though whether that made any difference in the Halliwell of the 1860s is open to question.

At first, the Prince Of Wales was in the hands of the Bogle family who originated from the Tonge Moor area. The 1841 Census shows a number of the Bogles working in the printing industry, but at least two of them got into the pub trade with both John Bogle and George Bogle running the Prince Of Wales in the late -1860s and early-1870s.

By 1876, the pub was owned by Thomas Iddon, who remained there for almost 15 years. But Iddon decided to get out of the pub trade. He was in his sixties and he sold the Prince Of Wales to Wingfield’s brewery, based in Nelson Square.

However, Thomas Iddon’s successor at the Prince Of Wales was someone already known to him. Alfred Edward Cox was born in Northleigh, Oxfordshire in 1855. He was a tram driver in Bolton and he lived with his wife and daughter at 259 Derby Street, which was the Black Horse, another of Thomas Iddon’s pubs. On hearing of the tenancy at the Prince Of Wales he successfully applied for the position and so, in 1888, Albert Cox began an association with the Prince Of Wales that was to last for 25 years.  He and his family remained at the pub until 1913 when he retired to Ivy Road. He died at the beginning of 1918, aged 63.

Wingfield’s sold out to the Manchester Brewery Company Ltd in 1899. They were in turn taken over by the Salford firm of Walker and Homfray’s in 1912. Wilsons Brewery of Newton Heath took over Walker and Homray’s in 1949 and it was a Wilson’s pub that the Prince Of Wales ended its days in 1965.

The area was later redeveloped and the Spinners Arms was built close to the spot where the Prince Of Wales once stood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment