Not to be confused with the pub of the same name in town - about the fourth pub to hold the name - the Elephant and Castle on Kay Street was another example of retail premises that became a beerhouse. Philip Howarth appears on the 1836 directory as a shopkeeper on Kay Street. By the time of the 1841 census he was a joiner, but by 1843 he was a beer retailer at the Elephant and Castle and he remained at the pub until his death in 1862.
The Elephant and Castle was situated on the west side of Falcon Street with the Royal Oak just a few doors away, the Falcon on the other side of Kay Street and the Golden Cup around the corner on Haigh Street. It was a competitive environment.
The pub continued under numerous licensees after Philip Howarth left. William Sidlow succeeded him but in the late-1860s, but he lasted only a few years before leaving and there were no long-serving landlords at the pub after Philip Howarth.