The Jolly Sailor lasted for about a decade in the middle of the 18th century. It was a beerhouse situated at number 5 Kay Street, just two doors away from the fully-licensed Roebuck Hotel.
The Jolly Sailor was run by Richard Cashmore. Born in Warwickshire in 1766, Mr Cashmore was running a pub in Great Moor Street in 1836. By 1841 he was at the Jolly Sailor along with his wife Ann. However, despite being some twenty years younger than Richard, Ann died in 1846.
Richard was described as a Chelsea pensioner on the 1851 census which suggests he may have had a previous career in the armed forces. He died later that year and the Jolly Sailor was certainly closed by the time the 1853 Bolton Directory was compiled.
All Saints Street car park now occupies the site.
The bottom end of Kay Street on this August 2015 image (copyright Google Street View). The Jolly Sailor was on the left-hand side.