The Crofter’s Arms is in the forefront of this photo of St George’s Road taken towards the end of the 19th century. The Lark Hill Hotel is four doors down with the sign over the top of the building.
The Lark Hill area took its name from an area of meadows on the outskirts of Bolton. When St George’s church on St George’s Road was consecrated in 1796, Green Hill was immediately to the west with Lark Hill further on towards the road to Chorley.
The Lark Hill Hotel dated back the 1860s and was situated close to the junction with Chorley Old Road and Chorley New Road.
It remained as licensed premises until 1926. By that time it had been in the hands of local brewery of Magee, Marshall and Co. Ltd for a number of years.
Perhaps the fact it was a Magee's pub was its problem. Just a few yards away was the Crofters Hotel, a fully-licensed long-established pub that Magee’s rebuilt in 1907.
Magee’s closed the Lark Hill in 1926 though it’s a wonder it remained open for so long.
The site of the pub is empty land which until the Crofter’s closed formed part of its car park.