The new Great Moor Street station pictured here in 1930. It opened in September 1874 and its construction necessitated the demolition of the Queen Elizabeth.
The Queen Elizabeth was situated on Blackhorse Street on part of the site of what is now Morrisons supermarket.
The pub dated back to the 1830s and was owned for a number of years by the Holt family. William Holt is listed as the landlord on the 1836 Bolton Directory and he was still at the pub according to the 1841 Census along with his wife Fanny. By 1848, Elizabeth Holt was the licensee.
In these early days the pub was known as the Bee Hive, but by 1853 it was known as the Queen Elizabeth – possibly in deference to its landlady!
Elizabeth Holt was succeeded by John Hawksworth and it was under Mr Hawksworth’s tenure that the Queen Elizabeth closed. The London and North Western Railway wanted to expand the railway station at Great Moor Street and needed to demolish the pub to make way for the new station. John Hawksworth died in 1873 and the Queen Elizabeth closed shortly afterwards. The licence was transferred to the refreshment room at the expanded station in August 1874 and the new station opened the following month. The licence was refused in 1880.
The site of Great Moor Street station in August 2015 (copyright Google Street View).